Malcolm Wong wins 4 Doubles Events and reaches 100 Tournament Titles
The tournament was held at Saxton Stadium in Stoke, Nelson. There were 30 Males
(1 junior) and 7 Females (no juniors) playing on the Saturday. On the Sunday there were 13 juniors, including 1 girl. Malcolm Wong, Paul Solt and Andrew Maguire were the Wellington players in this event.
Malcolm with Mark Nalder (N) won the Over 50 Men’s Doubles against Alister Morice (C)/ Phil Osborne (N) 3-1 (-3 11 9 6) and the Over 60 Men’s Doubles final against Graeme Mathieson/Gary Basher (N) 3-0 (9 8 4). Malcolm with Glenda Ferguson (N) were runner up in the Over 40 Mixed Doubles to Daniel Astle(N)/Mimi Walle (C) 0-3 and they won the Over 60 Mixed Doubles against Peter Welsh (ML)/Melody Nicholls (N) 3-0 (7 6 -4 4). Malcolm, with Melody Nicholls (N) won the Over 50 Mixed Double against David Watson/Debbie Watson (N) 3-0 (6 8 9). He was also semi finalist in the Over 40 Men’s Doubles, Over 50 and Over 60 Men’s Singles. In winning the 4 doubles titles Malcolm has reached 100 Tournament Titles. It takes his Nelson Titles to 30 and it was also his 10th Nelson Over 50 Men’s Doubles Title. Malcolm’s first title was the 1995 Wellington Regional Men’s Over 40 Men’s Doubles with the late John Lelliott where they defeated Adrian Lust/Nha Nguyen.
Paul Solt won the Second Grade Singles defeating Phil Osborne (N) 3-0 (11 9 9).
These two were in the Wellington College Table Tennis Team in the late 1970s. Paul was also a semi finalist in the Men’s Singles losing to the winner Jessie Wilson 0-4. He defeated this year’s Marlborough Open Men’s Singles winner, Nathan Watson, in group play 3-0 (11 7 7).
Paul with Andrew Maguire were runner up in the Second Grade Men’s Doubles to Phil Osborne/Alan Vigar (N) who won 3-1 (8 -3 7 7) and in the Over 40 Men’s Double to Daniel Astle/Paul Op den Buysch (N) who won 3-2 (-7 -6 6 5 9).
Andrew Maguire was unfortunate to play Paul Solt 3 times in the singles (once in MS Group and in knockout in the 2nd Grade (SF) and O40 MS (QF)), with Paul wining each time. This should not have happened as they were the only two Wellington players in those events. They should not be in the same group in the MS and should have been on the opposite side of the draw for the knockout in the 2nd Grade and O40 MS). Andrew’s best win was beating the Over 50 Men’s Singles winner Phil Osborne in the last 16 of the O40 Men’s Singles 3-1 (8 -5 10 7).
Other final results
* Jessie Wilson (C) beat Daniel Astle (N) 4-1 (11 7 -7 11 9 )
Women Singles (Round Robin)
* 1st Mimi Walle (C) 2nd Jacqui Wood (ML)
* David Walle/Jessie Wilson (C) beat Daniel Astle(N)/Nathan Watson (ML) 3-2 (10 7 -9 -11 6)
Mixed Doubles (RR)
* 1st David Walle/Mimi Walle (C)
* 2nd Daniel Astle (C)/Jacqui Wood (ML)
Over 40 Men’s Singles
* Daniel Astle (N) beat Paul Op den Buysch (N) 3-1 (2 2 -10 7)
Over 50 Men’s Singles
* Phil Osborne (N) beat Nigel Strawbridge (N) 3-1 (9 9 -10 12)
Over 50 Women Singles (RR)
* 1st Melody Nicholls (N)
* 2nd Debbie Watson (N)
Over 50 Women Doubles
* Liz Evans/Melody Nicholls (N) beat Jane Lim/Sal Randall (N) 3-1 (5 4 -9 5)
Over 60 Men’s Singles
* Mark Nalder (N) beat Gary Basher (N) 3-0 (3 8 9)
Over 70 Men’s Singles
* Gary Basher (N) beat Peter Webster (N) 3-1 (-10 5 4 7)
Over 70 Men’s Doubles (RR)
* 1st Alister Morice (C)/Ted Priest (N)
* 2nd Michael Browning/Peter Webster (N)
Under 21 Men’s Singles
* David Walle (C) beat Nathan Watson (ML) 3-0 (10 7 9)
Under 13 Boys Singles (RR)
* 1st Finn Brown (N)
* 2nd Connor Edmonds (N)
Under 15 Singles
* Finn Brown (N) beat Vanessa Wood-Lin (ML) 3-1 (4 9 -10 7)
Under 15 Doubles (RR)
* 1st Finn Brown/Kvido Tayerle (N)
* 2nd Joshua Piggott (N)/ Venessa Wood-Lin (ML)
Under 18 Singles
* David Walle (C) beat Escher Kendrick (N) 3-0 (2 3 3)
Under 18 Doubles
* David Walle (C)/Harrison Foote (N) beat Kvido Tayerle (N) / Vanessa Wood-Lin (ML) 3-0 (4 3 7).
Much thanks to the Nelson Table Tennis people involved in running the tournament and the cafeteria. Without these volunteers the tournament could not have happened.