Nationals for the juniors was a great success with all players placing in the top three in their respective events:
- Girls Under 15 (Anna Wilson, Mei Mun Teh and Erin Huang) won Gold
- Boys Under 13 (Yufeng Wang, Aaron Lan, Tom Christie and Ben Riddell) won Bronze with a great come from behind win over Canterbury
- Yashka Rabichand came third as a draft player with Southland in the Under 18 Girls
- Yufeng Wang collected Silver in the Under 11 Boys Singles.
- Yufeng Wang and Aaron Lan collected Silver in the Under 11 Boys Doubles.
Speaking of national events I have a report from Malcolm Wong on the 2018 South Island Championships held earlier on July 7-8:
There were 104 players at the tournament in Christchurch. Fiona Zhai Ye, Lisa Yue and Andrew Maguire travelled from Wellington.
Fiona Zhai Ye became the first TT Wellington(*) player to win the South Island Women Singles when she won all her matches ( round robin of 5) from Mimi Walle (C), Shelley Smith (S), Lisa Yue and Anny Li (A). (*)Previous winners from Hutt Valley were Raewyn Young (1993) and Sabine Westenra (1995).
Lisa Yue and Fiona Zhai Ye were runner up in the Women Doubles to Shelley Smith/Mimi Walle 3-0 (11-6 11-6 14-12). Lisa Yue with Hongyi Li (C) were runner up in the Mixed Doubles to Ivo Mikulec (C)/Mimi Walle 3-1 (6-11 11-5 11-7 11-5).
Andrew Maguire with Shelley Smith were runner up in the Over 30 Mixed Doubles to Yikai Tian (C)/Akiko Goto (C) 3-1 (11-6 11-6 8-11 11-5). Andrew with Dave Samson (C) were runner up in the Over 40 Men’s Doubles to Abhay Joshi (C)/ Lyndon White (C) 3-0 (11-5 11-3 11-8). In the Over 30 Men’s Singles (Round robin of three) Andrew lead the winner Vladmir Ivanov (C) 2-0 before losing 3-2 (8-11 9-11 11-4 11-7 11-4).
– Malcolm Wong (South Island Championships report)